Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Heart Felt From Yesterday's Post

Good morning to all,

This morning I received a very sweet email regarding yesterday's post.  My friend wrote:

"Yes, It's true....but it is hard..to let go! I know..it can all be gone instantly as you say..a tornado! Or worse..and yet sometimes the things we have are what ground us and keep us connected...grandmother's embroidery, dad's watch, sister's picture, whatever...they are not just things at some point..those 'things' have become part of us..although I know you are right..I am not ready to lose my little treasures..little to others..of no monetary value..but each has a place in my memory and each evokes something special...but yes, you are right."

I couldn't agree more with her on how hard it is to let certain things go, because I, too have my attachments, such as:  pictures of my kids, their awards, my old Cannondale mountain bike, the Native American clothing, necklaces and pouches I've spent hours and hours making killing my back in the process which reconnect me back to the past, etc....but it just keeps coming to me, that it's more important to ground yourself to the earth and to the Universe (which will never go away) than to things.    The earth and the Universe will always be here!  (pending some unseen horrific event)  Often times, I'll sit in a pretty little spot and visualize myself as a tree, with roots coming out of my feet and being anchored to the earth, with light from the sun coming down into my head to make a total connection.  I remember this beautiful young aspen tree at Pearl Lake State Park (approx 35 minutes north of Steamboat) standing alone on this point by the lake by itself.  As I sat down next to it, I began to think about all the abuse that tree endured by the unimaginable forces of nature, such as the hard winds blowing across the lake, yet how that tree bends and goes with it, then stands back up again.  And how that tree and all the others hold incredible loads of snow on them, sometimes bending them into odd ways, but still they stand come spring.  I visualized that trees' roots and how they interconnect in the soil with all the others holding the ground in place preventing erosion.  Trees are amazingly resilient and have to go with the forces of nature holding on to the earth for dear life, and when their purpose is through, even their death adds nutrients back into the earth for future trees, plants, animals etc.....Trees are an amazing grounding force. .Just a thought to maybe consider.  Maybe you'll look at the trees in your yard in a new light. They give and give and give.  Shel Silverstein's book "The Giving Tree" says it all.   Namaste